Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Bakes it's own chocolate sauce. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. My mom made this for years and I just found the recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all ingredients except the brown sugar and 4 tbsp cocoa and hot water. Spread into a 9x9 pan or equivalent.
- Mix brown sugar and cocoa and spread over batter.
- Carefully pour the hot water over all.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 40 minutes.
Can somebody confirm for me please......... it wants 2 TABLESPOONS? not teaspoons, of baking powder??!! Is that right?
i LOVE this recipe. I found it was a bit too sweet so I just decrease the sugars a bit and it's perfect. I also make it vegan by substituting the milk with coconut or soy milk and it turns out awesome. I also replace the brown sugar with maple or coconut sugar and used coconut oil for the "oil" part just to try making it a bit healthier. I've also used whole wheat flour instead of white or all purpose and it turns out perfectly each time no matter what. So much room for error! Thank you for this recipe!!!!!!!!!!
Delicious and the perfect answer to chocolate cravings - mine did not make enough sauce so I intend to double sauce ingredients next time as a trial. Very easy to make and way too easy to eat when warm from the oven with cream !!