Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Kinda like an Oreo. Very easy. I get a different count every time I make them, so I estimated.
- 1 (18 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix cake mix, shortening and eggs.
- Roll into balls the size walnuts.
- Bake at 350* for 7-8 min, on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Do not overbake.
- Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add a little cream if needed.
- Put filling between cookies.
I've made this before, and the cookies are really delicious. I like to make a minor adjustment to the icing though. Instead of butter, I mix light cream cheese into the confetioner's sugar for the icing. This is also really good with mint extract added to it. I made a Valentine's batch by cutting the cookies in heart shapes and adding food coloring to make pink icing. So cute!
I love this recipe because it's so easy & gives you so much control. I rolled the cookies in powdered sugar before baking, & added 1/2 tsp of mint to the frosting. They turned out great! I do think you have to be careful what cake mix you use, as some are too salty.
I've eaten these before they are good! :)