Recipe by janet mclaughlin
Very rich elegant dessert--more of a mousse or cheesecake than a cake. I make this at Christmas.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use a 9 inch springform pan.
- With pan locked, coat inside of pan with a thin film of butter. This will help alumnium foil to adhere to contour of pan. Place sheet of alumnium foil inside pan and press along bottom and sides.
- This step will prevent batter from leaking during baking.
- In heavy saucepan, over low heat, combine butter, sugar, and coffee; stir until all is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs (by hand or electric mixer) a couple of minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in chocolate and mix to a uniform color.
- Pour in pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cake will fall slightly as it cools.
- When room temperature, open springform pan, peel foil away from sides, place serving plate on top and flip over. Remove remaining foil.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Note: This cake is rather hard to slice, use plain dental floss or kitchen string, and holding taut in both hands, slice through cake, dividing it as you go.
- For Christmas, decorate center with holly leaves and cranberries.