These German spice cookies, traditionally baked at Christmas time are usually cut into heart shapes, decorated with different colors of icing and then hung on the tree. This recipe makes 15 small cookies but is easily doubled. From the Usborne Children's World Cookbook that gramma gave my son when he was first learning to cook.
My Private Note
small c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons clear honey
- 4 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F and grease baking sheet (or line with parchment paper).
- 2In small saucepan, over low heat, stir together honey, butter and brown sugar until the butter has melted.
- 3Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa, ginger and allspice into a mixing bowl. Add egg yolk and stir to combine.
- 4Add the honey and butter mixture to the flour. Stir to combined and then squeeze the mixture into a ball of dough with your hands.
- 5On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- 6Use cookie cutters or a knife to cut out different shapes. Roll out leftover dough and cut more shapes.
- 7Use a spatula to lift cookies to the baking sheet. (For decorations, make a hole at the top of each cookie with a skewer.).
- 8Bake the cookies for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.
- 9For Icing: Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl. Mix in the lemon juice, stirring well. If desired, divide up mixture into smaller bowls and tint with a drop or two of food coloring.
- 10When the cookies are cool, spoon the icing into an icing bag or a parchment paper cone and slowly pipe the icing onto cookies.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chocolate Lebkuchen Cutouts
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.2
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 48.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 1.2 g