Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a recipe I received from my husbands college aged niece Sarah. She made it for a desert after Easter dinner. It's like a huge "Ring Shaped" Chocolate Eclair. We loved it so much, we had to ask for the recipe!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages French vanilla instant pudding
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) package chocolate fudge frosting mix
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a cookie sheet grease and flour a circle
- approx 7 inches.
- In a sauce pan, over high heat mix Water and Butter until boiling. Turn burner to Low and add Flour and Salt. Mix fast with a wooden spoon until dough leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl and mix with an electric beaters at Medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat until dough is smooth and slimy.
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto the cookie sheet to form a circle with an open center. Bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes turn oven off and leave in the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
- Put on a wire rack to cool. Once cool carefully cut in half (like a cream puff).
- For the Filling, mix BOTH packages Instant French Vanilla pudding with the 2 1/2 cups milk. Mix with an electric beater on Low for 1 - 2 minutes. Once pudding has set up, add Cool Whip and Almond Extract and fold in slowly until incorporated.
- Take the top of the "ring" off and set to the side. Spread the filling evenly on the bottom "ring". Once you have distributed all the filling evenly across the bottom "ring" replace the top of the "ring".
- For the frosting, make the Chocolate Fudge Frosting Mix as directed on the package and spread on the top of the ring. Let Frosting set up until ready to serve.
This was excellent! So fast and easy. I just didnt put in the almond extract. I was so surprised how great this turned ou. Thank You highly recommended.