Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I've done my research and this one is different from all the rest. Others call for cherry pie filling. This one has jars of cherries in it. I always have a jar of cherries in my pantry because I like them for just a snack or in fruit salads. I also toss them into sodas for a change of pace. I think this recipe is great because I love biting into a big chunk of cherry.
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, patted dry, and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chocolate frosting
- 12 maraschino cherries, with stems on for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Make the cake mix according to package directions. Stir in the chopped cherries and almond extract into the batter. Divide the batter evenly between the pans.
- Bake according to package directions. Cool on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely.
- Transfer 1 3/4 cup frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip or plastic food storage bag with the corner snipped. Trim rop of cakes to level if necessary. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1 can of frosting. Top with the second layer and spread with the remaining frosting.
- Pipe 12 rosettes around the top edge of the cake and place the stemmed cherries in the rosettes.
I made this in honor of Amy for ZWT3. YUMMY!!! I called DH2B at work at lunchtime just to let him know that the whole house smelled like cake. He asked what kind and I said "cherry-vanilla with creamy chocolate frosting." He was home early that night. :) I only used 2 cans of frosting, and that was plenty b/c I skiped the garnish. The hardest part, which isn't hard at all, is chopping up the cherries. This tastes like something very special, but it is SO EASY!!