Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I've had this recipe for 17 years (long before I owned an ice cream machine), and can't recall where I got it from. Since this ice cream is frozen in a loaf pan, no "ice cream making equipment" is needed. Cook time = approximate minimum freezing time, depending on your freezer.
- Line a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with foil.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter.
- Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally, and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat.
- In a blender, combine eggs, vanilla extract and salt, blend on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar mixture and blend on high speed for 1 minute.
- Set mixture aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the butter/sugar mixture, mini bits and walnuts into the whipped cream.
- Pour mixture into foil lined pan.
- Cover the top tightly with foil and freeze until firm (possibly overnight).
This was quite good. I used margarine as a substitute for butter and unsalted plain pistachios(not toasted) as a substitute for toasted walnuts. I liked the colour and the overall appearance of this alot. I felt that the taste of whipping cream overpowered the other ingredients like for example, the chocolate chips and pistachios. That's the only reason(on the taste) for my review being a four-star one and not a five-star one. The kids I served this too said it was nice and made me pack some for them to take home and enjoy the next day after school in the afternoon:)