1 hr 10 mins
Snowbunny Andorra's Note:
I spiced up a bog standard sausage roll recipe over the weekend. Everything's always better with chilli! Even the pastry is really easy to make - thanks to Delia for this. Next time I make these, I'm going to try it with a mixture of beef mince and sausage meat to round the flavour out. Obviously you may want to vary the amount of chili, depending on the heat of the chillies you have and how hot you like it! These tend to lose their crispness if stored for a while, so you can make them up and freeze them. Then simply remove them from the freezer as you need them, apply the egg wash and salt and bake from frozen... just add a couple more minutes to the cooking time. You still want them to be a lovely golden colour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add a large pinch of salt. Remove the butter from the freezer and, holding with some aluminium foil, grate into the flour. If it sticks on the grater, dip it into the flour.
- 2Use a knife (not your hands) to mix the butter throughout the flour until all the butter is coated in flour. Add enough cold water to bring the mixture together into a dough, using your fingers.
- 3Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- 5Meanwhile, mix together the sausage meat, chili, paprika, onion, garlic and sage. Season with salt and pepper. If you want to test the seasoning, take a small amount of the mixture and fry it in order to taste it.
- 6Roll out the pastry as thin as you can, into a long strip about 6 inches wide. Make a long roll of the meat mixture down the middle of this strip.
- 7Beat the egg and milk together, then use a pastry brush to brush this along one edge of the pastry. Fold the other side over the meat first, then this one on top, pressing gently to seal the pastry.
- 8Turn the entire roll over, so the seam is on the bottom.
- 9Brush the top of the roll with more egg wash and sprinkle on plenty of sea salt.
- 10Cut into the size sausage rolls you want (I like to have them about 1cm wide, to make single mouthfuls), then arrange on a baking tray and pop them into the oven.
- 11Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden in colour.
- 12Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chilli Sausage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.7
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.0 mg
- Sodium 175.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g