Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe dates back to my first attempts in the kitchen over 30yrs ago. I was a young bride and wishful to impress my husbands family with something homemade and more adventurous than ice cream and tinned fruit salad. My friend Pat Mitchell gave this recipe to me when I explained what I wanted,and she rattled it off immediately without resorting to a book or notes as if she had made it a dozen times. I don't know where she originally got it from.
- 8 ounces digestive biscuits
- 4 ounces low-fat margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces cottage cheese, sieved
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 ounce gelatin
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 large lemons
- Crush Digestive Biscuits (Sweet Wholemeal Biscuits), place in a bowl and stir in the melted margarine and cinnamon.
- Mix together well.
- Press firmly into a greased 8" flan form.
- For the Filling: Put the cottage cheese into a Pyrex bowl and beat in 2oz sugar, then the egg yolks one at a time.
- Stir in the milk, then place bowl over pan of simmering water. Cook 5-7 mins stirring constantly. Leave to Cool.
- Dissolve gelatin in hot water.
- Pour into cottage cheese mix with the juice and grated rind of two lemons.
- Cool until syrupy.
- Whisk egg white until stiff, gradually adding remainder of sugar.
- Fold into cheese mixture.
- Pour into crumb base.
- Chill until set.