Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is not a super-hot chili like many people prefer; it is a medium to mild chili for those of us who prefer their chili a little milder. (Note: This old recipe called for a #3 can of tomatoes, a small can of kidney beans, and 1/4 bottle catsup. I have translated these amounts into measurements to the best of my ability based on available information on can sizes). Preparation time includes time for chopping peppers and onions.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (Do not drain!)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 2⁄3 cup catsup
- In a large skillet, fry bacon crisp and remove.
- Brown onions and green pepper in the bacon grease.
- Add ground meat and cook until browned. I use lowfat ground beef. If you do not, drain the excess grease off before proceeding.
- Add tomatoes, catsup, kidney beans and spices.
- Break up bacon and add to mixture.
- Simmer for an hour or so until flavors blend.