Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great substitute for chili rellenos.
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, rinsed, drained cut in to strips
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream (low fat ok)
- 3 eggs
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease one 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- arrange chili strips in baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over. Beat sour cream and eggs to blend in a small bowl.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Pour over chilis & cheese.
- Bake until custard is firm in center about 25 minutes.
- Serve with salsa.
Couldn't be much easier! I liked that this stayed moist and cheesy when done baking, yet not overly "eggy." I doubled the amount of whole green chilies simply because I love them. I served this with lettuce and salsa. I'd use fresh garden tomatoes when they are in season. Thanx!
5 stars for simplicity! This recipe was quick enough for a weeknight, and tasted REALLY good! Served with Simple Homemade Refried Beans and nachos for the kids. Delish! (I accidentally purchased chopped chilies and they worked well in place of the whole)
I'm such a fan of this recipe! So simple to put together and delicious! I used a 7 oz. can of whole chiles, a cup of sharp cheddar and 1 cup of Egg Beaters. The custard was so creamy and smooth...I loved it! Because I like things spicy, I think I will add some red pepper flakes the next time I make it. (And there WILL be a next time!) Thanks for sharing this easy and tasty recipe, aronsinvest! **Made for Fall PAC 2009**