Prep 12 mins
Cook 50 mins
These are chile rellenos without all the work. The recipe comes from Ortega.
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup cheese into bottom of a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Top with chiles.
- Add remaining cheese.
- Place flour in medium bowl.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Add eggs, stir until well blended.
- Pour mixture over Cheese.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve with Salsa, and desired toppings, such as sour cream, sliced ripe olives, chopped green onions.
I had a bunch of fresh poblano peppers and didn't know what to do with them. I tried this casserole and loved it! With the fresh roasted peppers and a few jalepenos for extra spice, it was FANTASTIC! This is definitely joining my regular rotation. Thank you, check out some of my recipes at www.tvisgod.com.
My husband just loved this! It was creamy and cheesy and simple to make! Thanks for a keeper!
This is an easy dish to make. The directions were very clear and easy to follow. We loved the egg and chile flavor. I did NOT use canned chiles, but used some frozen, whole, New Mexico chiles. I left the chiles whole and just layered them with cheese between layers of chiles and cheese on top. Baked them 45 minutes and the casserole was golden brown on top. I served this with homemade picante sauce. An excellent recipe, Barb! Thanks for sharing!