Recipe by sara17 in Mesa, AZ
This Recipe was given to me by a co-worker after I told her of my Chile Rellenos disaster! It's so easy!
Top Review by ChipotleChick
I want to start out by saying that I LOVE authentic rellenos. However, since they take hours to prepare, I'm always on the lookout for shortcuts! I was a little skeptical of using egg roll wraps instead of the elaborate batter, but I decided to try it anyway. I did these exactly as directed, including microwaving them before frying. WOW. I topped them with some El Pato chile tomato sauce and a dollop of sour cream. I could not believe how great and simple these were! Much less oily than authentic ones as well! I will make them like this from now on! Thanks for posting this fantastic and simple recipe!!!
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole green chilies
- 1⁄2 lb mild cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg roll wraps
- salsa or guacamole or sour cream
- deep frying oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oil 1" deep on medium high heat.
- Drain chilies and remove any remaining seeds, split chilies lengthwise along one side for stuffing.
- Cut cheese into thin 1/2" thick slices.
- Stuff chilies with one piece of each kind of cheese.
- Roll chilies up in egg roll wrappers and seal edge with a little water (make sure to wrap them tightly so that they don't fall apart when fried.
- Fry in oil approximately 1-2 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
- I had a little trouble getting the cheese to melt the 1st few times I made it and found that if you microwave the rolls right before you fry them for about 20 seconds it really helps.