Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
This is a great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken. Very similar to traditional gumbo, this is a quick and easy alternative - a thick, hearty gumbo that can be spiced up even more at the table with some Louisiana Hot Sauce and/or Cajun Seasoning. Enjoy!
Top Review by tednjoc
This is delicious, and easy to prepare. I used veggie chicken, and skipped the seafood and sausage. I also crumbled veggie bacon on top for some extra flavor and texture. My vegetarian husband gave it high marks. Thanks so much.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 package frozen okra, thawed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or 2 cups turkey
- 1 cup raw shrimp (optional)
- 1 cup diced cooked spicy sausage (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In large deep skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add onion, celery, peppers, okra and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add flour to vegetable-oil mixture and stir.
- Continue stirring until flour turns brown.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, broth and seasonings.
- Shrimp or sausage can be added if desired.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.