Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the best and easiest tortilla soup recipe! I found it in the newspaper and have made it countless times since. If you don't have the pre-packaged beans and rice you can substitute a can of red beans and 1-2C. cooked instant rice; you'll also need to add some extra chili powder to taste.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs diced cooked chicken (seasoned with 2 tsp chili powder)
- 1 (8 ounce) bagseasoned red beans and rice mix (found near the rice in the grocery store-any brand)
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- tortilla chips
- Combine undrained tomatoes and chicken broth in large sauce pan.Boil; add diced cooked chicken.
- Reduce heat; cook 7 minutes.
- Add in prepared beans and rice; heat through. Spoon into bowls.
- Top with cheese and tortilla chips.
A great little recipe...like most people on this site, I tweaked it for my purposes. Since I cook only for my husband and myself we have plenty of leftwovers. One of them was some shredded chicken I had frozen. Far less than the recipe called for. I combined the chicken stock plus some Miner's Chicken Base for exrra flavor and added Rotel tomatoes that added some extra heat. Turned out great. As it is a chilly day, greatly appreciated.
My husband always orders the Tortilla Soup when we go to On the Border. I was looking for a recipe that was easy and resembled On The Border's. Fixed it tonight... My husband & My daughter loved it!
I'm embarrassed to admit what I did... wasn't intentional.... but still turned out great. I halved this recipe. I didn't have red beans, let alone a bag of seasoned red beans and rice, so I grabbed what I thought were black beans. The can of black beans was actually a can of black REFRIED beans. I added half the can, along with some cumin. I added a little more broth to get the right consistency, and everyone loved it. Best of all, this was superfast!!