This is a classic dish, with wonderful flavor. If you don't have the whole spices, you can easily substitute ground/dried - 1 Tbsp whole = 1 tsp ground/dried. Lovely served over rice (we always use basmati) and served with flat bread. I like to measure everything and cut up the chicken before I get started. Even better - it's a 1 pot meal! For step by step instructions with pictures, see: http://whatsinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2009/08/chicken-tikka-masala.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small onions
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- seeds from 10 cardamom pod (or 1 tsp ground)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (optional, but I love it)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup yogurt (I use fat free)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 1/8 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1Make your spice blend: Put the cardamom seeds, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin and pepper flakes in a spice grinder and -- grind.
- 2Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet. Saute onions until they begin to caramelize.
- 3Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add your spice blend, ginger, garam masala (if using) and paprika.
- 5Stir everything together until it's well combined and let it all mix together in the skillet for a few minutes.
- 6Add tomatoes and water and stir everything together. Turn your heat down and simmer for about 10-15 minutes - it will thicken up a little and reduce.
- 7Whisk the yogurt into the sauce, then add the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter and the half and half, and whisk everything together.
- 8When the sauce is simmering again, add the chicken pieces and let it simmer until they are completely cooked.(about 10 minutes).
- 9Serve over rice, hopefully with some kind of bread to sop up all the sauce.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chicken Tikka Masala
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.0
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 129.9 mg
- Sodium 417.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 31.6 g