1/1 Photo of Easy Chicken Tacos (Low Fat if You Choose Soft Shell over Hard)
I try to avoid cooking with pre-made spices and sauces (some are better than others), so this recipe is based off my re-interpretation of all the good things a taco should be: spicy, tasty, moist, and most of all packed with delicious veggies; using chicken and what I can find in my pantry at a moments notice. You could even simply top a bowl of lettuce and tomatoes with the taco meat and eat it as a taco salad - that would be very low fat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 large white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, strips chopped (from a jar)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 medium green pepper, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetables or 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (leave out if you don't like spicy food)
- 1/4 cup cold water (or chicken broth if you have it)
Dressings or Toppings
- 1Prepare your tacos/tortillas as directed on the packaging.
- 2Place your onions, green peppers, and oil into a non-stick pan/skillet on medium/medium-high heat and cook until the onions are soft. Add in the garlic and chopped roasted red peppers. Cook until the garlic is fragrant (don't let it burn).
- 3Move the veggies to the edge of the pan and place your ground chicken in the center. You'll want to keep breaking apart the meat as it cooks.
- 4In the meantime prepare your Taco sauce by combining in a small bowl your spices and corn starch. Then, add water and Tabasco sauce, stir well to combine.
- 5Just as the chicken finishes cooking (roughly 5-12 minutes) stir to combine all the veggies and the chicken together, breaking apart any large pieces of chicken. Add your sauce mixture and stir together. The sauce will thicken, coating the chicken mixture, add additional water/broth if needed one tablespoon at a time. Allow the sauce to cook through. Cover and set aside.
- 6Now you're ready to assemble your tacos. Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the meat mixture into your shells, top with cheese, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chicken Tacos (Low Fat if You Choose Soft Shell over Hard)
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.2
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 97.5 mg
- Sodium 1204.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: