Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Easy to throw together and let it go in the crock pot chicken meat mix that you can use for tacos, burritos, etc.
- 4 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, petite diced
- 1 onion, large
- 1 red pepper, large
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, diced small
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- flour tortilla
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Drain as much juice as possible out of the can of tomatoes.
- In crock pot put tomatoes, onion, red pepper, garlic and jalapenos.
- Add cumin, cayenne and chili powder.
- Stir it all together.
- Put in chicken breasts and stir around.
- Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts to a plate and shred the meat.
- Return all meat to the crock pot and stir through.
- To make tacos I put some meat in the center of a flour tortilla, then top with cheese and a couple slices of avacado.
Goooood flavor, like the previous reviewer said. I added in some chopped black olives, an extra half-onion to use it up, and salsa instead of the canned tomatoes. This is the kind of recipe that you can just play with, adding whatever veggies you have on hand. Because of the previous reviewer, who had problems with an overly moist mix, I wound up leaving the lid off my slow cooker after shredding my chicken to let some of the moisture evaporate. I let the mix sit for maybe 30 min while I made the rest of the meal, and it was sufficiently dry for us. I'm giving the recipe 4 stars because the taste warrants a 5 but I needed to alter the technique (and watch it closely!) toward the end.
The taste of this recipe was good, but I prepared it in a slow cooker as directed, and it had a LOT of liquid after cooking for 5 hours. (I did drain the tomatoes). It made for a very messy, runny filling for my tortilla. Needs some tweeking, or don't fix it in a slow cooker, which builds up liquid. 3dognight