1 hr 15 mins
I love to experiment in the kitchen and everyone in my family loves chicken pot pie, but not the prepackaged over floury crust... so I had a little fun with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (cream of chicken can be substituted if you don't like mushroom)
- 1 (7/8 ounce) packet instant chicken gravy
- 4 ounces cups water
- 1 medium onion
- 1 (16 ounce) package mixed vegetables
- 5 medium potatoes (in a hurry? use some thawed french fries)
- 1 (12 ounce) can flakey biscuits
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (i recommend the California style with chunks of garlic and parsley)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Combine broth, butter, pepper, garlic salt, red pepper, Italian season and chicken in baking dish.
- 3Bake 25 minutes.
- 4Once chicken is cooked remove from baking dish and place in freezer for quick cooling and save liquids. (can be done the night before!).
- 5Put the liquid in a bowl and add gravy, soup, and flour. Mix until smooth.
- 6Peel and chop potatoes. Rinse and put in a saucepan.
- 7Add liquid mixture and water to potatoes and boil 15 minutes or until potatoes soften but don't lose their crispness.
- 8Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 9Peel and chop onion.
- 10Chop cooled chicken into small pieces. (use your best judgement -- you know if you like big chunks or not :) ).
- 11Pour liquids, potatoes, mixed veggies, onion, and chicken into large baking dish.
- 12Bake 35 minutes.
- 13Bake biscuits according to package directions -- (I know it says not to say that, but canned ones are the easiest and you don't need any other ingredients, and they all have different directions. I don't recommend baking the biscuits on top of the casserole because they come out half mushy -- and nobody likes mushy biscuits. Usually they're 400 degrees and if its 450 you can still bake both at the same time by just taking 8 or 10 minutes off the casserole bake time -- but watch closely!).
- 14Remove from oven. Allow to cool 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.8
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 53.6 mg
- Sodium 1388.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: