Recipe by KristiJoy
I got this basic recipe from the Heavenly Homemaker blog and tweaked it a little. I like that it's very simple - you can add whatever veggies you really want or have on hand. I also like that the doughy topping is so simple and easy to make non-dairy so I can make it for my daughter, but it's also very basic and anyone should like it.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped into bite size pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- salt & pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot cook onions, carrots, and celery until slightly tender. Add potatoes and broth. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add peas, chicken, and seasonings to taste. Mix cornstarch or flour with cold water, stirring well. Stir that mixture into the broth & veggies mixture when it has come to a boil cooking for about one minute and giving it time to thicken. Pour contents of pot into a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk, mayonnaise, and flour. Spread mixture over the veggies into the baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the crust is golden.