Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For those who do not want to bother making a cream sauce from scratch then this is for you and it's pretty darn good too, fresh mushrooms may be used in place of canned, although the golden mushroom soup is better this will also work using cream of mushroom soup, if you are not a garlic-lover then omit --- see my Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust
Top Review by Messy44
Yay - super yummy and very easy. This is a great one to try if you are new to homemade pot pie, or if you are short on time (who isn't?). My DS, the king of pot pie, LOVES this one and made sure I had saved the recipe. Changes: left out mushrooms, my children fear them (but used the soup and lied about it - only fessed up after they said they loved it), and only used a top crust. Also added about 2 medium potatoes. That's it. Sauce was very yummy and it baked up in about 40 minutes on convection at 350. Didn't see bake temp so I just guessed. Can't believe no one has rated this gem. THANKS, Kittencal, for another winner. This one is going in the regular rotation file. :]
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms, well drained (whole or sliced, squeeze out excess moisture with hands)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter or 3 -4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cut green beans, cooked and drained
- salt (to taste) (optional)
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust deep dish pie
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in carrot, celery, onion and thyme; cook stirring until just crisp-tender.
- Add in mushrooms fresh garlic,and black pepper; cook stirring for 2 minutes.; remove skillet from heat.
- Place the cubed chicken or turkey in a bowl sprinkle with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon flour and toss well to coat.
- To the skillet add in the floured chicken or turkey, undiluted soup and green beans to the onion mixture; mix very well with a spoon to combine.
- Line the bottom of the pie plate with pastry.
- Add in the chicken or turkey mixture.
- Place the remaining pastry on top; seal and flute.
- Slice a couple of slits on top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush lightly with table cream or milk.
- Cover the edges loosley with foil.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake bottom-oven rack for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown.