Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A quick and easy dinner that's tasty, economical and doesn't leave you with too many dishes to wash! An Asian Style Chicken Noodle Soup. Submitted for "Dining on a Dollar Contest" using contest ingredients - November 2008. Add the red pepper flakes as an option if you like a hotter style soup, or alternately use a small red chilli finely diced and add with the chopped onion.
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (can use bottled minced garlic)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 carrots, finely julienned or 1 carrot, very finely sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage (chinese cabbage) or 2 cups wombok cabbage (chinese cabbage)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 (3 ounce) packets ramen noodles, discard seasoning sachets (also referred to as instant noodles)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl combine the 2 teaspoons of sesame oil with the minced garlic- set aside.
- Using a large stockpot or saucepan, heat the vegetable or peanut oil and then add the carrot, onion and cabbage.
- Gently stir-fry until the vegetables have softened slightly - around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, shredded chicken and green beans. Bring to the boil.
- Once the soup is to the boil, add the sesame soaked garlic and the 2 packets of ramen noodles (do not use the seasoning sachets) and boil until the noodles are cooked. Approx 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir thru the cilantro (if using). Serve and enjoy!
Wow, this was great! I made a half recipe (but used a whole garlic clove)for the two of us and made a few changes to the original recipe. I used my own home made turkey stock, 200g turkey breast fillet and as I don't like beans, I subbed them for snow peas. I used the optional fresh coriander and chilli flakes for a delicious dinner.
This sure is quick easy and tasty. Only change I would make is to only use 1 packet of noodles next time as I felt there were too many noodles for the amount of liquid. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap 34 Nov 09
So flavorful - the red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro made this so much better than plain old chicken soup, and it was even better after sitting in the fridge a day or two.