Recipe by Oolala
I got this recipe a long time ago from a woman who worked with me. I adored it but my husband "wasn't into it" so I never made it again. I was in the mood for it though as time passed and I thought if I made it again he might like it. I tried it again one night and told him it was a new dish called "Chicken Italiano" but he still didn't like it! In fact, he even said "This isn't chicken Italiano, this is Chicken Marengo!" I'm posting this because I DO like it and maybe you will too. P.S.-I'm thinking of what I should call it next time to try to fool him! Note: you can use any chicken parts that you like.
Top Review by drozdibob_12192966
I also make a Campbell's soup shortcut version of Chicken Marengo...try this: pat chicken pieces dry and season with pepper and a little salt. Brown pieces till golden in a bit of olive oil. Remove chicken when golden and set aside. Brown off some button mushrooms and sliced onions in leftover oil and cheicken brown bits in skillet. Mix 1 can Campbell's tomato soup and one can of Golden Mushroom soup. Thin with 1/2 can white wine. Add chicken into skillet, redistribute the mushrooms and onions over the chicken. Pour sauce mix over the top and simmer away....much more flavor that way.................
- 8 pieces chicken, one the bone
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can campbell's tomato soup, condensed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's French onion soup, condensed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, condensed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except for the chicken, in a bowl.
- Put chicken parts in a pyrex baking dish and pour the soup blend over the chicken.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare a box of linguine or any other pasta to serve with the chicken and drain.
- There will be a lot of sauce to serve with the chicken and pasta. Hope you like it.