Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 125 g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 slices rindless bacon, chopped
- 250 g chicken livers, trimmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 30 g butter, extra,melted
- 60 g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Melt butter in a pan, add onion, garlic and bacon.
- Cook until onion is tender and bacon is cooked.
- Add chicken livers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in thyme, pepper, cream, brandy and melted butter.
- Spoon mixture into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into serving dishes.
- Pour melted butter over pate.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Refrigerate pate overnight.
- Stand at room temp 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with toast, crackers or crusty french bread.
Made this last night for Christmas Eve munchies and loved it. Very tasty and easy. I added some mushrooms (Baby Bella) while sautéing and my husband and I enjoyed immensely.
I recommend soaking the livers in milk overnight. (of course drain and wash them before frying)I did not use bacon, or the butter/chives topping. I've even made this with onion/garlic powder and it was fine. A little extra Brandy doesn't hurt either. The texture is smooth and rich. It is a holiday tradition at our house.