Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Who knew some leftover over chicken and white rice could turn into such a great meal the next night?! Super easy, super fast, super good!!
- 3 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 (14 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 8 flour tortillas
- Place chicken breasts, white rice, and salsa into a crockpot.
- Set crockpot to low and allow to simmer several hours. If the chicken is not already cooked (I used leftovers), then allow to cook all day to ensure chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred using two forks.
- Put shredded chicken back into pot, add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Into a casserole dish, put remaining enchilada sauce.
- Take a tortilla and put a couple spoonfuls of chicken mixture onto it; roll up and place seam side down into sauced casserole dish.
- Repeat until all tortillas are used and in dish. Top tortillas with any remaining chicken mixture and remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Put casserole dish into oven and cook about 12 minutes or until cheese is all melted.
- Serve with additional enchilada sauce, salsa, sour cream, or whatever you prefer.
Delicious! I must say this is more of a enchilada casserole than the original enchiladas though, hence the rice/tomato(or salsa) mixture. I made some modifications only because I didnt have salsa on hand so i used a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles in it along with about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce. I used 2 boneless skinless chicken halves thawed. It was very tender and ready to be shredded after 4.5 to 5 hours on LOW. Even with just 2 chicken breasts, it made a lot, after it gets shredded it looks like you've got 4 chicken breasts there instead of just 2. Even for a family of 4, i would defintely say 2 chicken breasts is plenty. Especially with the rice, it makes a lot. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I liked it a lot and will be kept for many more dinners to come.
This is easy and tasty. I added onions and hot peppers. We really like this and will be making it often.