This recipe is an easy recipe because you don't cook the chicken or the eggplant before putting them in the casserole. It's also easy because you use sauce from a jar. Of course, you can use your favorite homemade pasta sauce if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and slice eggplant.
- Lay between two layers of paper towels for 15-20 minutes to drain moisture from eggplant, then discard paper towels.
- Line bottom of 13x9 inch baking dish with the chicken breast slices.
- Cover chicken with the eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over eggplant.
- Cover breadcrumbs with mozzarella cheese slices (or grated if you prefer).
- Pour marinara sauce over cheese.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
While it was easy, you could not taste the eggplant at all which for me was a sad waste of eggplant :(
This was great, I added red bell pepper but it was still pretty crunchy so next time I would probably just use onion instead. I choped and eggplant into cubes to make it easier to eat. I also seasoned the chicken and eggplant with cajun seasoning, onion powder italian seasoning and minced garlic. I only had cheddar cheese and panko breadcrumbs but it was fine. I would like to try it with the mozzarella slices sometime, but I was looking to make it healthier.
Excellent and easy. Friends and family loved it. Used a nice garlic and herb marinara sauce. One large eggplant works better for me. Also bought 1-1/2 lbs of chicken strips. Fresh mozarella and parmesan (not the stuff in the green cardboard tube)really helps. Served it with green salad and fresh italian garlic bread...no need for pasta.