Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is an easy recipe because you don't cook the chicken or the eggplant before putting them in the casserole. It's also easy because you use sauce from a jar. Of course, you can use your favorite homemade pasta sauce if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and slice eggplant.
- Lay between two layers of paper towels for 15-20 minutes to drain moisture from eggplant, then discard paper towels.
- Line bottom of 13x9 inch baking dish with the chicken breast slices.
- Cover chicken with the eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over eggplant.
- Cover breadcrumbs with mozzarella cheese slices (or grated if you prefer).
- Pour marinara sauce over cheese.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
While it was easy, you could not taste the eggplant at all which for me was a sad waste of eggplant :(
This was great, I added red bell pepper but it was still pretty crunchy so next time I would probably just use onion instead. I choped and eggplant into cubes to make it easier to eat. I also seasoned the chicken and eggplant with cajun seasoning, onion powder italian seasoning and minced garlic. I only had cheddar cheese and panko breadcrumbs but it was fine. I would like to try it with the mozzarella slices sometime, but I was looking to make it healthier.
Excellent and easy. Friends and family loved it. Used a nice garlic and herb marinara sauce. One large eggplant works better for me. Also bought 1-1/2 lbs of chicken strips. Fresh mozarella and parmesan (not the stuff in the green cardboard tube)really helps. Served it with green salad and fresh italian garlic bread...no need for pasta.