Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an adapted recipe of Madhur Jafreys. I have had great success with making this recipe for guests. People are always asking for this recipe as they see how quickly I get dinner together and they love how it tastes. I have used ground turkey as a sub for the ground chicken. Also I have used cubed chicken breasts if I don't have ground on hand. I once used leftover Tzatziki sauce and used that in lieu of the yogurt or sour cream and it was also good. The curry powder I use is the Sweet Curry I buy from penzeys.com. The recipe is flexible if you want to add 1 cup of cooked/cubed potatoes and/or 1 Cup of frozen peas at the step where you add the tomatoes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream or 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- -Cook onion in large saute pan on medium until carmelized.
- -Add garlic and cook 2 minutes or until garlic is just browning.
- -Add ground chicken and curry powder and cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- -Add can of tomatoes and cook until most of liquid has evaporated.
- -Add yogurt or sour cream and cook until well incorporated and whole dish is of creamy consistency.
- -Serve with the cooked rice.
I made this today for a late lunch and enjoyed. I did think it was missing salt and after eating a bowl as is, added some garam masala and onion salt which really enhanced it. Also used ground chicken. Thanks for sharing!
We enjoy Madhur Jaffrey's recipes, and liked the simplicity of this version! I used cubed chicken breast instead of the ground chicken, and added a little ginger & cardamom which were nice additions. Served with rice pilau for a very enjoyable meal. Thanks Chohertz! Made for Easy Does It in the photos forum.