Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
My kids love chicken curry. If it is "sport night" I can stop at the store and pick up a whole barbecued chicken and have this on the table in 20 minutes. Leftovers taste even better. I serve it over rice.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups cooked chicken (I use a purchased whole barbecued chicken)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium low heat.
- Add the onion, apple and garlic and mix well.
- cook, covered over low heat until the onion is tender and translucent, about 12 minutes.
- Add the curry powder to the onion mixture and mix well.
- Dissolve cornstarch in the milk and add it to the mixture.
- Add the chicken broth and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.
- Stir in the chicken and continue cooking until the chicken is heated through.
- Optional: Serve over rice with condiments such as chutney, raisins, diced bell peppers, cucumber, tomato, pineapple, papaya, mango, banana, kiwi, chopped scallions, hard-boiled eggs, peanuts or toasted almonds.
Great recipe, quick,easy and kids love it. Unfortunately my kids do not like little pieces and are very difficult with vegetables if they can see them... So I put a quarter of a red paprika to cook from the beginning with the other ingredients and after adding the chicken broth, instead of the starch, I add a potato,cook it all a bit longer and then mix it up in the blender before I add the chicken.
This was fast & delicious. I added more curry based on reviews and also raisins & peanuts. It was a hit over rice!
Quick and Easy! I enjoyed the apples in this curry dish, which I'd never tried before. Thanks for a great weeknight keeper!