Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy version of cordon blue. If you have never tried to make it before because it sounds intimidating, then you are missing out! This is a really easy way to do it (as most are). I personally think this is a very inexpensive dish!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup flour, in bowl
- 1 -2 egg, beaten, in bowl
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, in bowl
- Take chicken and place on a large cutting board. Put a piece of wax paper (or even saran wrap) over the chicken breast.
- Use a heavy pan, or mallet, and smash the chicken breast till it spreads out to about the size of 2 chicken breasts.
- Then place 2 pieces of ham on the chicken breast and then 2 pieces of cheese.
- Take chicken and roll up into a log. If it isn't holding together, place a couple toothpicks into the chicken to hold in place.
- Roll each piece in the flour, then in beaten egg, then in bread crumbs.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and place in oven at 375°F and bake for 30-45 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through).
- Cut each piece in 2 pieces, and serve!
Super easy, super delicious! For once, a dish everyone loved and it did not take me all night to make it. The preparation was easy and it took exactly 45 minutes in the oven.
We loved this recipe! It was lovely and simple - although my partner got a little too into smashing one of the chicken breasts up, so we had one ugly one! I made it as the recipe stated. I imagine there would be lots of room for adding different seasonings to this, but for a basic cordon bleu recipe, I can't fault it!
It's a good basic recipe with lots of wiggle room for personal tweaking. I added coriander, garlic powder and Beau Monde seasoning in the egg mixture. I didn't have any ham so I substituted with cooked broccoli and used smoked gouda cheese.