Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great dish to use up leftover chicken, you can also make it using turkey, once you have all the veggies chopped this dish is a really simple dish to throw together --- you may omit the chicken and serve this just as a veggie side dish, top with dry chow mein noodles if desired :)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts, well drained
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) cana sliced water chestnuts (optional) or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup whole cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (can use more to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (optional or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, cabbage, bean sprouts and celery; cook stirring with a wooden spoon until browned and the cabbage is softened (about 10-12 minutes) adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in water, add to the veggies along with the water chestnuts or cashews, chicken broth, soy sauce, cayenne and sugar; bring to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in the cooked chicken and black pepper then heat through.
- Season with salt if desired.