Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is our weekly/by weekly recipe and it's so simple and delicious. I never even thought of posting it, but my son insisted on doing so. This recipe is very old. My granmother, my mother made it the same way for years. You can easily make this with cut up chicken, beef or pork, I did that many times before, just cook it longer and add potatoes 0.5 hour before the end, or until done.
- 1 -2 lb chicken breast, cut up in bite size pieces
- 2 carrots, grated
- 5 potatoes, cut up in bite size pieces if you like ((or more)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (I usually add more, we love garlic)
- 1⁄3 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- meat tenderizer (optional)
- olive oil (to saute chicken and veggies) or butter (to saute chicken and veggies)
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, pepper and meat tenderizer and sauté in olive oil for a couple of minutes, add to your cast iron pot, or any heavy pot.
- Sauté onions until translucent, add carrots, garlic and half of parsley, sauté for 2-4 more minutes, until vegetables are tender, add a little more salt to taste. Add to the pot with chicken.
- In the same skillet as you cooked chicken, veggies add your chicken stock or water and heat it till it boils, add into the pot. The liquid should cover about the half of the chicken with veggies.
- To the same pot add ketchup and heavy cream , mix the whole thing well and bring in to the boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
this was really good.the chicken came out outstanding,the ketchup was a little dif.but i liked it over all
I made this without cream or parsley, and it was still a hit! (if not adding cream, add a bit of flour and water paste to the stew to thicken it in the last 15 minutes of cooking, it gives it a thicker texture, as opposed to a watery consistency). I was told it was tasty!