Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
Submitted for RSC#10 Serve with crusty bread.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 small red onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄3 cup frozen corn
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan combine chicken broth, water, tomatoes, celery, carrots and onion.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, add bay leaf and parsley simmer for about 90 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- When vegetables are tender, bring to boil, add barley and corn, reduce heat to simmer for about 10 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- In a bowl, break up chicken by hand add pepper. Add chicken to soup, simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, serve and add salt and pepper to taste.
Very good, homemade soup. The whole family loved it. It was very easy too. I followed the entire recipe except I used 3 chicken tenderloins. I just cut them into strips, added them when I added the barley, scooped them out after 10 minutes, let them cool for 5 minutes, and then shredded them by hand & added them back to the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
Enjoyed this soup and the addition of the barley. I used petite diced tomatoes and baby carrots that I chopped. A easy soup to put together but for us it needed a bit more flavor. Next time I will use all chicken broth instead of broth and water or add some chicken bouillion. Thank you Chef and good luck!
This was a fresh healthy soup that my kids and I (and another family who just had a new baby) enjoyed. We liked the simplicity of it, but for my personal taste, would like more flavor. Maybe trying some more or different herbs, or adding some garlic would add the extra excitement that would make this a fabulous soup. Thanks for creating and good luck in the contest!