1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
The original recipe was prepared by Amy Thielen, in the October issue of Food Network magazine. I have substituted some ingredients due to unavailability and high cost. Green onions for leeks, evaporated milk and water for whole milk, sour cream for fresh cream and Rice a Roni Long Grain & Wild Rice for natural wild rice. This substitution saves time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 1/3 ounce) package rice a roni long grain and wild rice blend
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chicken base
- 4 green onions, chopped including tops
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups coarsely broken Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Empty contents of Rice a Roni box, 2 tblsps. butter, seasoning packet,.
- 21 2/3 cup water, bay leaf and chicken broth base into large frying pan. Bring to a boil, stir and cover. Turn heat to low. Cook 25 minutes.
- 3Remove bay leaf.
- 4Pour into large bowl and cover. Set aside.
- 5Preheat oven 375*.
- 6In frying pan, heat 2 tblsp. butter. Add chopped green onions, celery, salt and pepper. Saute until slightly golden.
- 7Stir in flour, evaporated milk, water. Wisk until mixed and creamy, about five minutes. Take off heat.
- 8Add sour cream, thyme, nutmeg. Mix.
- 9Add vegetable cream, chicken, half of the cheese to bowl.
- 10Coat 9 X 13 pan with remaining butter. Pour rice chicken cheese mix into.
- 11pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 25 minutes.
- 12Shake crackers in bag with olive oil.rack.
- 13Take out of oven, add crackers to the top. Bake 15 minutes until golden.
- 14Note: This dish can be baked without crackers. Then reheated with crackers on top, until hot and browned.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chicken and Wild Rice Hot Dish
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.3
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 124.2 mg
- Sodium 674.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 23.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
long grain and wild rice blend