Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
The original recipe was prepared by Amy Thielen, in the October issue of Food Network magazine. I have substituted some ingredients due to unavailability and high cost. Green onions for leeks, evaporated milk and water for whole milk, sour cream for fresh cream and Rice a Roni Long Grain & Wild Rice for natural wild rice. This substitution saves time.
- 1 (4 1/3 ounce) packagerice a roni long grain and wild rice blend
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chicken base
- 4 green onions, chopped including tops
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups coarsely broken Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Empty contents of Rice a Roni box, 2 tblsps. butter, seasoning packet,.
- 1 2/3 cup water, bay leaf and chicken broth base into large frying pan. Bring to a boil, stir and cover. Turn heat to low. Cook 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pour into large bowl and cover. Set aside.
- Preheat oven 375*.
- In frying pan, heat 2 tblsp. butter. Add chopped green onions, celery, salt and pepper. Saute until slightly golden.
- Stir in flour, evaporated milk, water. Wisk until mixed and creamy, about five minutes. Take off heat.
- Add sour cream, thyme, nutmeg. Mix.
- Add vegetable cream, chicken, half of the cheese to bowl.
- Coat 9 X 13 pan with remaining butter. Pour rice chicken cheese mix into.
- pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 25 minutes.
- Shake crackers in bag with olive oil.rack.
- Take out of oven, add crackers to the top. Bake 15 minutes until golden.
- Note: This dish can be baked without crackers. Then reheated with crackers on top, until hot and browned.