8 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Diana Smith on allrecipes.com. This is a soup, not a stew. You could shortcut by using a rotisserie chicken and packaged egg noodles, but it's not the same.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 3 quarts low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1Place the carrots, onions and celery in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the whole chicken on top of the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the white wine and add basil, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
- 2In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, water, salt, shortening and flour to form a stiff dough. When mixture can no longer be stirred with a fork, use your hands to incorporate more flour. It should be smooth and just barely sticky. Allow to rest 10-15 minutes.
- 3Roll the dough out on a well-floured board to 1/8 inch thickness. Use a pizza cutter or pie crust cutter to cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long. Dust lightly with flour, and leave to dry for a few hours while the chicken cooks.
- 4When the chicken is done, remove the meat and vegetables to a platter. Transfer the juices to a large pot and stir in 3 quarts of chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add the noodles. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- 5Meanwhile, remove the meat from the chicken and shred. Discard bones and skin. When the noodles are done, return the vegetables and chicken meat to the pot and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Chicken and Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.0
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 79.9 mg
- Sodium 223.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth