Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cobbled together from several recipes found on Recipezaar. Celery is optional because I hate it, but it is very traditional for chicken and dumplings.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red or green)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth or 6 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb cooked chicken, diced (from a rotisserie chicken, or canned)
- 1 (10 count) can buttermilk biscuits
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, bell pepper and celery (if using). Saute until onion and pepper are soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour and poultry seasoning over, stirring until flour is slightly cooked, 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth, cream, peas and chicken. Stir well. Bring to a heavy simmer.
- Cut each biscuit in quarters. Drop biscuit pieces into pot without stirring. Simmer 5 minutes uncovered, then lower heat, cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked. Stir GENTLY to distribute dumplings before serving.
Very tasty. Easy weeknight dinner. Will make again.