Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 6 chicken legs with thigh
- 8 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (15 ounce) package 8-inch flour tortillas
- Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven.
- Let chicken and broth cool.
- Skin, bone and cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Add soup to broth; bring to a boil.
- Cut tortillas into 2x1 inch strips.
- Add strips to briskly boiling broth.
- Add chicken, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
- Remove from heat; Serve.
OMG!!! I have never been able to make chicken and dumplings that were worth a flip. This recipe was so easy my family thought I had slaved to make dumplings the old-fashioned way. They were so surprised when I told them the dumplings were flour tortillas. This tasted just like I remember my grandmother's--rich, thick and yummy. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I have been making chicken and dumplings like this for years. The only difference is that I add a little rubbed sage and some cornstarch to the broth at the very end because we like a moderately thick broth. Wonderful tasting and very easy. In my opinion, the comfort food of all comfort foods. Glad this is posted here.
I was given this exact same recipe at a mission that my dad and I sometimes help with and I thought there is no way those will turn out to be dumplings. I was even scared to taste them. Needless to say I didn't care one bit for them and my father asked me what happened to my regular dumplings. They are pretty and if you can't make dumplings I guess they will do but I find my recipe just as easy and much, much better, but that's what makes the world go around, if we all like the same thing it would be a very boring world.