Top Review by Sunflower
OMG!!! I have never been able to make chicken and dumplings that were worth a flip. This recipe was so easy my family thought I had slaved to make dumplings the old-fashioned way. They were so surprised when I told them the dumplings were flour tortillas. This tasted just like I remember my grandmother's--rich, thick and yummy. Thanks for posting this recipe.
- 6 chicken legs with thigh
- 8 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (15 ounce) package 8-inch flour tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven.
- Let chicken and broth cool.
- Skin, bone and cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Skim fat from broth.
- Add soup to broth; bring to a boil.
- Cut tortillas into 2x1 inch strips.
- Add strips to briskly boiling broth.
- Add chicken, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
- Remove from heat; Serve.