Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the budget101.com website... My family LOVES these bars! They're easy to make and taste amazing! You can substitute any canned fruit filling.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla. Beat well to mix. Add flour and salt, mixing well.
- Spread half of the batter into the greased casserole dish, Spoon the pie filling over the batter and spread evenly. Randomly drop tablespoons of remaining batter over the pie filling.
- Bake for 40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, mix powdered sugar, almond extract and milk until smooth. When bars come out of the oven, drizzle the glaze evenly over the bars and cool. Cut into 16 bars and serve.
The photo of this recipe, on other sites, looks delightful. Looks can be deceiving! I read the reviews and figured the few "naysayers" were probably wrong. The recipe is easy to prepare, but the end results are mediocre at best. The dessert was rather bland tasting and the cake part was somewhat tough. Sorry , I will not make again.