Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake reminds me of a chocolate covered cherry. The cake is moist and the frosting is creamy and not too rich. Check the cake at 30 minutes, my cake needed more time, but my oven is wonky.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- For cake, combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and vanilla in large mixing bowl.
- Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spread mixture evenly in well-sprayed 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- For frosting, combine sugar, milk and butter in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate morsels and extract until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour and spread over warm cake.
- Let stand at room temperature 2 to 3 hours for frosting to become firm.
- Cut into pieces and serve garnished with whipped cream.