Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Began as a simple homemade potato soup, but after opening the cupboard and the fridge, a new heartier soup was born!
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
This was very very good. I used a 19 oz can of tomatoes because that is what I had on hand and I did not add the fennel. My family really enjoyed this and it was quite easy to make too. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion (chopped)
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 6 medium russet potatoes (peeled, medium-large size dice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (scant, coarse ground)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pinches fennel seeds (optional)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes (broken up)
- 15 ounces canned chick-peas (rinsed and drained)
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in olive oil.
- Add chicken broth, diced potatoes, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and fennel seed.
- Boil gently about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender, but not falling apart.
- Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring back up to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk and cheese; stir over lowest heat just until cheese melts ~ do not overheat or mixture will curdle!
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serves 8-10.