Recipe by Geniale Genie
It doesn't get much easier than this... no sautéing and hardly any chopping - everything is cooked in one dish before putting in the oven (I even bake it in my toaster over). A great way to use up spinach that's been in the fridge for a while. Use whole-wheat pasta for extra nutrients. You could probably sub rice for the pasta. Add a dash of hot sauce to jazz it up a bit. Measurements and cooking times are approximate.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup whole-wheat elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 -3 teaspoons tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine broth, spinach (don't bother chopping) and garlic in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until spinach is wilted. Cream using a stick blender.
- Bring back a boil, add pasta, and simmer until pasta is al dente.
- Dilute starch in an equal amount of cold water. Stir into pot along with cream cheese. Simmer until thickened; remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together. Stirring constantly, add several spoonfuls of the mix to the eggs (to warm them up). Stir into remaining pasta & sauce mix. Pour into an oven-safe dish (a 9-inch pie plate is the perfect size).
- Mix breadcrumbs with grated cheese and sprinkle over top. Bake 10 approximately 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Turn oven to broil and cook until cheese turns golden - watch constantly.