Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Too hot to turn the oven on? You can still have delicious creamy potatoes with this savory recipe. Peeling is optional, and any kind of parmesan you have is fine. Note: Thanks to the reviewers who made this the second-place winner! I've noted the things you said, and made a few adjustments. Note: This is a stovetop recipe. I do not recommend making it in the oven. Although it can be done successfully, it takes about twice as long to cook using raw potatoes. Using cooked or partially cooked potatoes does not give the sauce a chance to thicken properly. The dish also has a serious tendency to scorch in the oven.
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (use less for a thicker sauce)
- Combine potatoes, flour, rosemary, dill, basil, mozzarella, colby-jack, parmesan, salt, pepper and paprika in a large bowl.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add green onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add pimentos, potato mixture and milk to skillet and stir well to mix.
- Cook just until milk begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Don't worry if this sticks a little. As long as it hasn't scorched, just stir it up and the sauce should be fine.
Enjoyed this dish, as a side dish to dinner tonight. Other than picky daughter forking out the mushrooms, and it sticking slightly to the pan no problems, and well enjoyed. Made for Zaar Stars.
Nice potato dish - and I appreciate having a stovetop option for when it is hot, as mentioned in the intro. Good flavors, and loved the addition of mushrooms. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious! We doubled the amount of potatoes listed and thought the amount of sauce was perfect for that, otherwise didn't change anything. I especially like that these are a stovetop method to clear up the oven for other things. Thanks for sharing!