Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I married a low-country man and he introduced me to Shrimp & Grits. I enjoy many varioations but my sons both like this simpel version and it's easy to whip up for dinner! I serve this with a salad.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Boil shrimp. Use Old Bay seasoning in water to add additional flavor. 3-5 minutes in boiling water is usually plenty of time. Overcooking makes them tough. Set shrimp aside.
- Boil 3 cups water. Add grits, reduce heat to medium=low and cover. Cook 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining ingredients to grits and stir to melt cheese.
- Dish grits into individual bowls and top with shrimp.
I definitely enjoyed this recipe...I just gave it a 4 before of the way that I made it, but next time it will definitely be a 5 ! I'm going to use larger shrimp, and I'm going to make sure the tails are off or, after I boil them, de-tail them myself. And, with a pitcher of sweet tea to go with it, this recipe is going to be awesome, and it's sooo quick. I really loved that part because, with a 4-year old, I don't have a lot of time...
Came out so good �� for my first time but u put chopped bacon and scallions