Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Choose a jarred sauce that you really enjoy but one that is on the plain side (sauces with large flecks of herbs and lots of garlic or onion powder do not hold up well in the slow cooker). The ravioli should be medium-sized; the extra-large ones tend to fall apart upon serving. If you purchase refrigerated ravioli, freeze them yourself before using them in this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) jars red pasta sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1-2 T. chopped fresh basil) or 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning (or 1-2 T. chopped fresh basil)
- 2 (25 ounce) packagesfrozen ravioli (do not defrost)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Add in the onion; stir/saute a few minutes until softened.
- Add in the garlic; cook 1 minute (don't allow to burn).
- Add in the pasta sauce, wine, and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
- Taste the sauce; if desired, add the basil.
- Pour 2 cups of the sauce into the slow cooker.
- Add 1 package of the frozen ravioli; then sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese.
- add 2 more cups of sauce, the remaining package of ravioli, the remaining mozzarella and 2 tablespoons parmesan.
- Coiver with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, or on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- The casserole is done when a ravioli from the center of the casserole is hot throughout.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan and let cook 10 minutes more.
I live with 5 very ppicky eaters. what one likes the others cant stand and vice versa cooking is always a task for me! i made this recipe exactly by the directions(disregarding dislikes in my house) and there were no leftovers. GREAT RECIPE
Thanks for this recipe. I was super rushed for time and did not make the sauce as directed- I just used plain canned sauce so the taste was a little on the plain side- which is why I did not rate it as I'm sure if I followed your directions it would have had a little more zip. I love how easy this recipe was and it makes a ton. I also added a layer of baby spinach and sliced mushrooms and they cooked up perfectly. I am super happy to find this recipe and to know how to use the frozen raviolis in this way. Next time I am going to make up the sauce as you directed, but will only use one bag of ravioli and will use more veggies. Thanks for posting this!
YUM!This was perfect. Nice and hot and cheesy, but didn't heat up the house during a hot arizona summer day. Hubby said that I could make this one again, so its a keeper.