Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Choose a jarred sauce that you really enjoy but one that is on the plain side (sauces with large flecks of herbs and lots of garlic or onion powder do not hold up well in the slow cooker). The ravioli should be medium-sized; the extra-large ones tend to fall apart upon serving. If you purchase refrigerated ravioli, freeze them yourself before using them in this recipe.
Top Review by pjbudgirl4
I live with 5 very ppicky eaters. what one likes the others cant stand and vice versa cooking is always a task for me! i made this recipe exactly by the directions(disregarding dislikes in my house) and there were no leftovers. GREAT RECIPE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) jars red pasta sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1-2 T. chopped fresh basil) or 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning (or 1-2 T. chopped fresh basil)
- 2 (25 ounce) packagesfrozen ravioli (do not defrost)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Add in the onion; stir/saute a few minutes until softened.
- Add in the garlic; cook 1 minute (don't allow to burn).
- Add in the pasta sauce, wine, and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
- Taste the sauce; if desired, add the basil.
- Pour 2 cups of the sauce into the slow cooker.
- Add 1 package of the frozen ravioli; then sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese.
- add 2 more cups of sauce, the remaining package of ravioli, the remaining mozzarella and 2 tablespoons parmesan.
- Coiver with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, or on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- The casserole is done when a ravioli from the center of the casserole is hot throughout.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan and let cook 10 minutes more.