Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my family favorites
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml low-fat milk
- 177.44 ml chicken broth
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 141.74 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 907.18 g yukon gold potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml italian parmesan flavored breadcrumbs
- 1.Preheat oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F). In 3-quart saucepan, melt margarine and butter over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and bring to a boil. Add broth and return to a boil 1 minute. Add herbs and black pepper. Remove from heat and stir in 125 g (4 oz.) cheese; Set aside.
- 2 In a large bowl toss potatoes and cheese mixture until thoroughly coated. In 13x9-inch shallow casserole dish, lightly sprayed with nonstick spray, arrange of the potatoes evenly.
- 3.Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Combine remaining cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.