1/1 Photo of Easy Cheesy Potato Soup
Great cheesy potato soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, can save some tops for garnish
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 lb American cheese or 1 lb mild cheddar cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Dice the peeled potatoes into about 3/4" pieces.
- 2Place the diced potatoes in a pot with the 4 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender.
- 3While potatoes cook, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Add the chopped green onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- 4Whisk the flour, celery seeds and paprika into the butter/green onions and stir constantly until a smooth paste. Gradually stir in the ff half and half. Stir frequently until mixture begins to thicken.
- 5Add the hot cooked potatoes and both into the creamy mixture; stir well.
- 6With a slotted spoon remove 1 or 2 cups of the potatoes and set them aside.
- 7Use a stick blender or blender or food processor to blend the soup in the pot.
- 8Return the blended mixture and reserved 1 or 2 cups of potatoes to the pot.
- 9Stir in the cheese, salt and pepper.
- 10Stir and cook (but do NOT allow to boil) until cheese is melted smooth and well-mixed.
- 12Garnish with some green onion tops, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Cheesy Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.1
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.1 mg
- Sodium 928.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 16.7 g