Recipe by *Parsley*
Great cheesy potato soup.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I cut this soup recipe in half and added the same amount of smoked paprika. I think next time I would add closer to one full teaspoon because we could barely detect the smoked paprika in the soup. I also used whole milk and a little bit of full fat half and half. The salt was omitted because the cheese (which was extra sharp Tillamook) is already salted. White pepper instead of black. A very good soup recipe and one I plan to make often. Thanks! cg
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion, can save some tops for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 lb American cheese or 1 lb mild cheddar cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the peeled potatoes into about 3/4" pieces.
- Place the diced potatoes in a pot with the 4 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender.
- While potatoes cook, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Add the chopped green onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the flour, celery seeds and paprika into the butter/green onions and stir constantly until a smooth paste. Gradually stir in the ff half and half. Stir frequently until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the hot cooked potatoes and both into the creamy mixture; stir well.
- With a slotted spoon remove 1 or 2 cups of the potatoes and set them aside.
- Use a stick blender or blender or food processor to blend the soup in the pot.
- Return the blended mixture and reserved 1 or 2 cups of potatoes to the pot.
- Stir in the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook (but do NOT allow to boil) until cheese is melted smooth and well-mixed.
- Garnish with some green onion tops, if desired.