Recipe by Sharon123
Well, the name says it all except how good it tastes! This has a secret ingredient that tastes good and adds nutrition too. Submitted for RSC#18.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Sharon, this is a really good cheesy noodle dish!!! I have to say the secret ingredient is a stroke of genius, and I would suggest using a LARGE parsnip, because personally I had eaten half of it before I got as far as putting it in the dish, roasted parsnip is YUM! Who knew!!!! I%u2019ll definitely be making those again as a side vegetable! This was fabulous comfort food to enjoy on a cold winter night (for us), the only thing I added was a sliced tomato on top, as my husband really does enjoy tomato with his mac %u2018n %u2018cheese.
Thank you for creating this great recipe, which I made for PRMR tag game.
- 8 ounces egg noodles (1/2 pound)
- 1 1⁄2 cups 10% cream (half and half)
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (I love sharp)
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (or other cheese of choice)
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to desired heat)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast parsnip:.
- Cut parsnip into small cubes and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with a couple teaspoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Toss to coat and bake at 400*F. for about 15-20 minutes, until browning on the edges and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles in boiling water for about 8-9 minutes(al dente). Drain well.
- In a small pan, heat the half and half and plain yogurt until hot(don't let boil) Turn off heat.
- Heat a skillet and add 2 tbls. butter, stirring with a whisk to melt.
- Add the yogurt mixture, remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Add cheeses, roasted parsnip, salt, pepper, nutmeg and red pepper flakes. Add the cooked noodles, stir well.
- Pour mixture into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tbls. butter and combine with the fresh breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until bubbly and top browned.
- Note: Add some shaved cauliflower(roast with parsnips last 10 minutes), peas, grated onion, or other vegs. to give more nutrition and flavor.