Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A really easy mielie (AKA corn) bread, lovely with a braai (South African for BBQ) or just as a snack. It's delicious with apricot jam too. I sometimes bake in giant muffin tins and freeze for lunches.
- 480 g self raising flour (+/- 3tsp BP in 480g flour)
- 50 ml sugar
- 30 ml cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml milk
- 1 (410 g) can cream-style sweet corn
- 100 g strong cheese, grated
- grated onion
- chopped parsley
- mix flour,salt& sugar.
- beat oil, eggs& milk.
- add to the flour mixture.
- add remaining ingredients, mix and place in well greased circular pot.
- sprinkle cheese, onion and parsley over.
- bake at 180°C for 1 hour.
- spread with butter and enjoy.
I halved the recipe and came out with 9 muffins, the batter was quite thick compared to the regular muffins. I sauteed the onions with a butter before placing on top of muffins. The muffin itself was quite bland, with a slight corn flavor. It is highly recommended to put grated cheese,onion and parsley on top.
Fantastic recipe, a real winner. Taking literally a couple of minutes to whip up it is possibly the easiest side dish to MAKE to accompany a barbeque... Of course the guests thought it was fantastic and said I'd gone to so much trouble.... lol