Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have made this recipe over and over and it has been a huge success every time. I tweaked this recipe over time to fit my own personal tastes and I hope your family will like it too. Don't be afraid of the long instructions, they take you through this quick dish step by step.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 -2 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 pinch cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups dry rice
- 4 cups water
- start cooking two cups of rice with 4 cups of water in a small pot over medium heat. For extra flavor cook with chicken broth instead.
- preheat a large stock pot on medium heat with two teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Slice sausage and dice chicken into 1/2 inch size pieces.
- Brown meat until it is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. chop all the green pepper, onions, celery and mushrooms into 1/2 inch size pieces.
- When meat is browned add in all the chopped vegetables and stir to combine.
- Wait three minutes and pour can of diced tomatoes and juices over veggies. Add chicken broth and seasonings.
- Stir to combine and let simmer on stove for 20 minutes checking occasionally until done.
- Add cheese and pinch of corn starch and cook 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice and top with shredded chesse.
Made this last night, wonderful! I made a few changes, I put in only 1 tbsp of all the spices. I left out the celery only because I did not have it:) I do recommend that if you are using granulated chicken broth (cubes or Knorr jar type) use less seasoning salt(1/2 tbsp or so) and/or salt to taste. We are a salt loving family but I do know many are not. My husband requested this to be put on the rotation:) Thanks for the recipe!
This recipe is awesome to feed a lot of people. I took to a company picnic. I cut back a little bit on the oregano, but it was wonderful. Everyone is asking me to make it again.