Recipe by Pepper Monkey
I have made this recipe over and over and it has been a huge success every time. I tweaked this recipe over time to fit my own personal tastes and I hope your family will like it too. Don't be afraid of the long instructions, they take you through this quick dish step by step.
Top Review by semicook426
Made this last night, wonderful! I made a few changes, I put in only 1 tbsp of all the spices. I left out the celery only because I did not have it:) I do recommend that if you are using granulated chicken broth (cubes or Knorr jar type) use less seasoning salt(1/2 tbsp or so) and/or salt to taste. We are a salt loving family but I do know many are not. My husband requested this to be put on the rotation:) Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 -2 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 pinch cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups dry rice
- 4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- start cooking two cups of rice with 4 cups of water in a small pot over medium heat. For extra flavor cook with chicken broth instead.
- preheat a large stock pot on medium heat with two teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Slice sausage and dice chicken into 1/2 inch size pieces.
- Brown meat until it is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. chop all the green pepper, onions, celery and mushrooms into 1/2 inch size pieces.
- When meat is browned add in all the chopped vegetables and stir to combine.
- Wait three minutes and pour can of diced tomatoes and juices over veggies. Add chicken broth and seasonings.
- Stir to combine and let simmer on stove for 20 minutes checking occasionally until done.
- Add cheese and pinch of corn starch and cook 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice and top with shredded chesse.